We use the breast meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken and cannellini beans in this delicious white bean chicken chili recipe. A perfect chili for a chilly day… the flavors are fabulous with just a hint of heat. We like adding a corn tortilla for thickening the dish, but it’s optional. Regular sour cream can be substituted for Crema Mexicana if that’s what you have on hand.
Tools for Crafting the Perfect White Bean Chicken Chili
Other Recipes You May Like:
Southwestern Black Beans, Vegetarian Style
Southwestern Chicken Salad with Chili Vinaigrette
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
- 2 14.5 ounce cannellini beans in cans
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 anaheim pepper diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers minced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 corn tortilla tear into small pieces (optional)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken breast meat only, skin removed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 lime cut in wedges for garnish
- tortilla strips or broken tortilla chips for garnish
- Crema Mexicana for garnish
- Shred the chicken breast into small pieces and set aside.
- Drain and rinse cannellini beans in a large mesh strainer.
- In a dutch oven or large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, green bell pepper, anaheim pepper, jalapeño pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Make room in the bottom of the dutch oven for garlic. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir to combine with other vegetables.
- Add chili powder, cumin, celery seed, salt and pepper. Sauté for an additional minute.
- Add chicken stock and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Add torn corn tortilla to stock. Bring to a gentle boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add the cannellini beans. Cover dutch oven with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken breast and cilantro. Stir to combine. Simmer for about 5 minutes until chicken is warmed through. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve immediately in individual bowls topped with a dollop of Crema Mexicana, tortilla pieces and lime wedges on the side.
Recipe courtesy of www.sisterspicekitchen.com ©2017 Sister Spice. All rights reserved.