Looking for a quick and easy way to cook steamed asparagus?
You’ve found it!
It doesn’t get any easier than this:
- A microwave-safe bowl and plate.
- A little water. 2 minutes in the microwave oven.
- Finish it with some high-quality extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt.
(We like Fleur de Sel, because of its delightful flaky texture, and pure flavor.)
Step it up a level by adding lemon zest for a bright, citrus note. Use a quality Microplane zester and grater to get light shavings.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||2 minutes|
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears
- 3 tablespoons water
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Fleur de Sel Sea Salt (or any sea salt you like)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- Take one asparagus spear and bend the bottom half of it until it naturally breaks. Discard the broken bottom piece. Align all of the spear tips. Cut the remaining spears at the same point where the first stalk was broken. Alternately all tough ends can be snapped off, as done with the first stalk.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel all sides of the stalk end slightly less than halfway up the spear.
- Place the asparagus spears and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a plate large enough to cover the bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, zest 1 lemon with a microplane. Set aside.
- With hot pads, CAREFULLY remove the plate and bowl from the microwave. Continuing with hot pads, invert the plate and line it with paper towels. With tongs, place asparagus on the paper towel lined plate. Pat dry. Discard paper towels.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt. Grind black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the asparagus with lemon zest.
- Optional: Garnish asparagus with thinly sliced lemon rounds.
Recipe courtesy of www.sisterspicekitchen.com © 2018 Spice Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.