Taco Tuesday inspired this Southwestern Chicken Salad with a Chili Vinaigrette. We use a store-bought rotisserie chicken for time-saving ease. Enjoy as a salad or wrapped in a fresh flour tortilla for a hand-held!
|Prep Time||1 hour|
- 2 1/2 cups chicken breast shredded from a rotisserie chicken
- 3 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 cup purple cabbage chopped
- 1 cup black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels thawed
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup tortilla strips or corn tortilla chips, broken
- 1/2 cup queso fresco crumbled (optional)
- 4-8 flour tortillas optional, if enjoying as a wrap (we love the fresh uncooked tortillas in the refrigerator section)
- 2 ounces red wine vinegar
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic minced finely and mashed into a paste
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 6 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
Southwestern Chicken Salad
- Finely mince 1 garlic clove. Add kosher salt on top of minced garlic. With the back of a chef's knife, mash into a paste.
- In a 16-ounce glass measuring cup or a mason jar, add red wine vinegar, juiced limes, tomato paste, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic paste, and freshly cracked pepper. Whisk together.
- Slowly drizzle olive oil in while whisking to emulsify. Alternatively, place a lid on a mason jar and shake. For a well emulsified vinaigrette, this dressing can be made in a blender. Set aside.
- If serving as a wrap, preheat a pan to medium heat. Cook flour tortillas for 1-2 minutes on each side. Alternatively, use a cooked tortilla to skip the cooking step.
- Place all other ingredients in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette on top and toss with tongs thoroughly coating all ingredients.
- Serve immediately as a salad or in a tortilla wrap, with or without greens.
The salad dressing holds well in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. For an easy, make-ahead shortcut, mix multiple servings of the chicken with the dressing. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Add to your salads or wraps as desired.
Recipe courtesy of www.sisterspicekitchen.com ©2017 Sister Spice. All rights reserved.