This is a vegan pesto recipe because it is made without cheese. Almonds are a delicious alternative to pine nuts. They’re also more affordable and easily available. With the addition of Celtic sea salt, you won’t miss the parmesan! Toss zucchini noodles with pesto for a low carb, vegan meal. For a more traditional sauce, add a 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese to this recipe with only a pinch of sea salt.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||5 minutes|
- 4 cups fresh basil
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup raw slivered almonds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt can substitute other sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place slivered almonds in single row on the baking sheet. Bake for 3-4 minutes, or until golden. Do not overcook/scorch.
- Remove almonds from baking sheet to cool.
- Remove basil leaves from stems. Place leaves in the colander bowl of a salad spinner. Rinse leaves.
- Place the colander back in the base of the salad spinner. Spin several times, removing all excess water.
- In a food processor with the blade attachment, add almonds and garlic. Pulse 13 to 15 times. Add basil leaves, olive oil and sea salt. Process on low until a nice paste forms. Olive oil can be adjusted based on preference.
- If not using immediately, store pesto in the refrigerator. House in a small container with a lid. Cover the pesto with plastic wrap. Push the wrap into the sides/inside of the pesto container to avoid any air on the pesto. Then cover with container lid. This technique keeps the pesto color vibrant until ready to use. Store in refrigerator for up to a week.
- Stores in freezer for up to 3 months. If freezing, add nuts (and cheese if added to recipe) after thawing.
Recipe courtesy of www.sisterspicekitchen.com ©2017 Sister Spice. All rights reserved.